I love watching youtube videos about minimalism, especially the ones where they talk about things they no longer do or buy to save money and live a more minimalistic life. I find them really inspiring and sometimes surprising to hear how people save and live a more simplified life.
I love that we own less stuff and spend more time making memories and spending time together as a family.
So here it goes, these are some of the things we don’t have or do that would otherwise cost us money every month. We are a family of five with a standard poodle. :)
- We don’t eat out.
- We don’t have cable.
- We don’t go on expensive holidays or day trips.
- We don’t buy paper ware for the kitchen or cleaning purposes.
- We don’t go to the movies.
- We don’t buy clothes full price.
- We don’t eat a lot of meat.
- We don’t buy books, magazines, dvd’s or music.
- We don’t take long showers.
- I don’t get haircuts or get my hair colored at a salon, I cut and dye my own hair.
- We don’t take our poodle to the dog groomer, we groom him ourselves.
- We don’t accept or pay for plastic bags.
- We don’t buy back-ups of toiletries.
- We don’t have a lot of different cleaners.
- We don’t turn on the heating until it gets really cold, usually end of October, beginning of November.
- We don’t waste food. Leftovers get finished off at our house.
- We don’t use fabric softener or fancy washing powders. (Vinegar and homemade laundry detergents do the job.)
- We don’t have a microwave.
- We don’t replace a broken appliance until we are sure we cannot get it fixed or fix it ourselves.
- We don’t have a dvd player or a cd player.
I sometimes forget about the things that we don’t own, like a microwave, people are always surprised when they notice we don’t have one, but honestly I have not ever missed it or wanted one. It’s just what you are used to I guess. It’s surprising how many things you can live without.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and have a blessed day!